Re: gmc vs. mc features - FAQ? (fwd)

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Yoni Elhanani wrote:

> There is a program called gxTar.
> Why not combine the two together?
> (gxTar functions under the gmc interface)
> that can be really nice.

Well gmc should have the ability to "browse" into zip/gz/tar/etc files by
double clicking on the file.  If you are compiling it yourself, check after
the configure to make sure it says yes to compiling in vfs support.

For those who prefer a separate archive program, I am including a gxtar.keys
file in the next gxtar release.  This will allow you to override gmc's
defaults and launch gxtar for the various archives it can handle.

I personally prefer a standalone program for several reasons.  For one I find
it more natural, but that is probably just many years of winzip use talking.

More importantly, I _hate_ it when you can lock up multiple windows with a
simple operation.  I hate it in Windows explorer, when you "browse the network
neighborhood" and it locks all of the explorer windows and the desktop.
Similarly I hate it when I double click on a large archive in gmc, and
every gmc window and the desktop all lock up.

One possible solution for this is to use some sort of threading.  Another
"solution" is to use a standalone program.  I, for obvious reasons, prefer
gxtar (gxtar.netpedia.net), though there are several other programs.

> just a question,
> can windows' explorer browse inside zip/arj archives?
I believe there was a norton utility at some point that added this ability,
but normally no, you use a standalone application, with winzip being the most
popular.

-chris

Christopher Rogers	Stevens Institute of Technology
gandalf@pobox.com	http://www.pobox.com/~gandalf