Re: Correct way to start Gnome?

+++ Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 10:39:58AM -0800 +++
Fox, Kevin M e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> Would it be better to create a wm-config capplet or something
> have the wm-config be called up by gnome-session in place of the wm
>
> wm-config would look in ~/.wm for what wm to run.
> if there is no file or nothing in it, it would prompt you for your default
> wm.
> that way when someone is setting up there computer for the first time, they
> get a choice of wm's and they can change it in the future through the gnome
> control center.

I second that. It's a hassle to change window managers with Gnome
right at the moment - you need to terminate the old one, start a new
one and then log out of Gnome without terminating the new one first,
and with a bit of luck the session management gets it right.

Alternatively, you can diddle with session-properties, but it's
bewildering because it gives you no hint whatsoever.

mawa
--
          (__)         |  Opinion Poll: Is ASCII art in .signatures...