Re: Session manager questions

Gisli Ottarsson wrote:

> As has been stated here, the idea behind the session management seems
> to be that whatever the user had running at the end of a session will
> be restarted during a follow-up session.  This includes the window
> manager.
>
> If correct, this seems somewhat fragile.  For instance, if you log out
> or are logged out because your window manager died, will you the not
> be missing a window manager the next time you log in?

This is exactly the case.  I had E die and then shutdown gnome.  When I
started X up again, Gnome complains that I'm not running a window
manager.  The only solution I had at the time was to remove the Gnome
dir and start over.

You should be able to turn off the 'start from where I left' option. I
personally prefer that my X start up with the same thing all the time,
not 6 Netscape windows, gimp and 4 eterms....  If you can turn it off,
I'd like to know how, as I've not figured this out either.

> Where do "Gnome Session Properties" come into this?  The System
> section in the System Menus provides access for this dialog box
> (should it be accessible from the Control Center instead?)   It
> would seem that this dialog box could allow the user to configure
> two lists of applications:
>
>   Applications that should *always* be started (e.g. window manager)
>
>   Applications which should *never* be restarted when restoring a
>   session, presumably because the don't know what to do.  Right now,
>   for instance if you started emacs in a session by giving it a
>   relative path, emacs is unlikely to find this file on restart.

I think these are excellent suggestions.

> Any application that is not on one of these lists would be restarted
> based on the previous session.  Note that a fickle user playing the
> window manager field would be returned to his chosen window manager
> (the "always start" choice) and a window manager "fling" would not
> start because it would detect that another window manager has been
> started.

I would still like to see an option that says, 'start up with the
following "stuff" everytime.'