Re: Gnome 0.99.8 - a success story <- I agree

hi everyone,

>i would like to take a minut of your time and congratulate all the Gnome
>developers - GREAT WORK !

I must second this...

I installed the 0.99.7 series on my home pc recently (a fresh RH 5.2 install).

Things pretty much worked smoothly.. I just followed the gnometar.html
instructions from the web site and it was running in no time... and I've got a
non-linux person using it too...

So good jobs guys... I just hope the app developers can get their stuff ready
in time while the bug stomping is going on...  Is Gnome 1.0 going to come
out with lots of v0.5 apps?   I think this is not a great time for 'version
number
humility'... There are many apps (for example: gedit) which are close to or
worthy
of 1.0 version numbering... I always thought 1.0 meant "this app has basic
features
and is very stable"... but alot of developers seem to define 1.0 as "when
my app does
every bell and whistle I dreamed it would"...

Of course the power belongs to the individual developers, but it would be
harmful
to lose some potentially large user base simply because of differing
assumptions
on what v1.0 means...  (ie: an app is actually v1.0 quality according to
the user, but they
don't try it because they misinterpret what v0.5 means)

Maybe a more controversial example is Enlightenment... v0.15???? It's
better than alot
of other WM's out there....

thanks,
wayne.
ps: I did find one potentially harmful security bug on gnome freecell.. If
you win the game,
you can say "no" to having another game, then click on undo, then win the
game again..
Do this repeatedly to bump up your overall score to annoy the other users
on your
system.:)
Wayne Schuller - BSc. (Computer Science) Network Administrator
Centre for Health Program Evaluation - Austin Repat Hospital - Heidelberg.
Web: http://ariel.unimelb.edu.au/chpe/  My phone: (03) 94964448
w.schuller@gpph.unimelb.edu.au