Re: Changing fonts?

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> Ok.  I totally ripped out my .gnome* .mc and .enlightenment and decided
> start from scratch.  Everything now seams to work ok except that the
> font used
> in the windows and menus for the default theme is way to small.  Is
> there any easy way to change it.

At the moment, the easiest way of changing it without going to a separate
theme is to pick out a font you like, and then make a file ~/.gtkrc with
the following in it:
  style "default"
  {
    font = "-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"
  }

Of course, replace the font string with the right one for the font you
want.  If all you want to do is make the font bigger, try replacing that
"10" above with a "12" or a "14, and see how you like it.

> Or more to the point do you plan on providing a way to create easily
> modify the look of the desktop with out having to create a new theme.

That's probably a good idea.  I don't think anyone's working on it yet.

> Also some I would be really nice to design some sort of common themes
> where the window manager themes and the gtk themes actually have a
> common look....

Another good idea.  One problem is not everyone is using the same window
manager, so an Enlightenment theme won't help someone using IceWM.  There
are some that are already done.  For example, there is a Metal theme for
GTK+, Enlightenment and IceWM (for those who actually like Swing Metal's
look).

Best of Luck,
-Gleef