Re: GDM/text mode login

In message <199902181142.LAA05201@grelb.src.gla.ac.uk>, Allan Third writes:
+-----
| This has been something which has bothered me for ages, long before I heard
| of Gnome. I've seen some Solaris machines, running CDE, on which xdm offered
| the choice of a "Command-Line login", which, when selected, appeared to kill
| the X server, and return to a text-mode login screen, which was valid for
| one login only, i.e. it seemed to be just another session type, like
| failsafe, gnome, kde, etc. I've often wondered whether it would be possible
| to set up xdm on my Linux machine at home to allow this, but I couldn't find
+--->8

Solaris doesn't have virtual consoles, so starting the X server blocks the
text console and suspending it restores the console.  On Linux and most other
x86 *ixes, starting the X server switches to a different virtual console.
So you can't get the "different session type" behavior --- but you also don't
need it, as a text-mode login is an CTRL-ALT-F1 away.

--
brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery@ece.cmu.edu