GDM/text mode login

Hi,

This has been something which has bothered me for ages, long before I heard
of Gnome. I've seen some Solaris machines, running CDE, on which xdm offered
the choice of a "Command-Line login", which, when selected, appeared to kill
the X server, and return to a text-mode login screen, which was valid for
one login only, i.e. it seemed to be just another session type, like
failsafe, gnome, kde, etc. I've often wondered whether it would be possible
to set up xdm on my Linux machine at home to allow this, but I couldn't find
out how - certainly the Xsession file on those Solaris boxes didn't tell me
anything relevant, so I assume it takes a little bit more that just a new
session script. Does anyone know how this is done, and if so, would it be
possible to add such an option to gdm?

Cheers,

Allan

Allan Third (allan@mindless.com)