Re: Typing dir name in a file open dialog ...

Yes you are doing something wrong :)

Rather than following windows conventions here where pressing enter for a
directory displays its contents, the GTK file dialog uses tab completion.

Try typing "/opt/gnome<tab>" into the dialog (where <tab> is the tab key).
It also has some other nice features.  For instance typing
"/usr/share/pixmaps/g<tab>" will only display files starting with g and
"*.png<tab>" will only display .png files in the current directory.  As
you can see, this is very powerful.  Maybe it just needs to be documented

James Henstridge.