Re: GDM configuration

>>>>> "Allan" == Allan Third <allan@grelb.src.gla.ac.uk> writes:

Allan> According to gdm-manual.txt, I ought to be able to put a script
Allan> in {gnome-prefix}/etc/gdm/Init to set the root window
Allan> background image. I tried creating a script named 'Default',
Allan> containing the line:

Allan> /opt/gnome/bin/ee --root /opt/gnome/share/pixmaps/background.jpeg

Erm. You need a #!/bin/sh on the first line. And check your
permissions.

Allan> I also have a problem with gdm.conf. The [messages] section
Allan> reads: Welcome=Welcome to %h which *ought* to expand to show
Allan> the local hostname, but instead gives "Welcome to Gnome". Is
Allan> there any reason for this?

Fixed in CVS. The HOSTNAME environment variable isn't set when gdm is
run from init(1).

Allan> Finally, I've noticed that when I close my window manager, not
Allan> everything that was running gets closed. In particular, asclock
Allan> remains open. This clearly shouldn't happen - how do I stop it?

What do you mean by ``remains open''? Are you sure your session
terminates properly? Does asclock stick around when gdmgreeter
reappears?

--
Martin Kasper Petersen			BOFH, IC1&2, Aalborg University, DK
mailto:mkp@SunSITE.auc.dk		http://www.socsci.auc.dk/~mkp/