Re: GDM configuration

Hi,

> >>>>> "Allan" == Allan Third <allan@grelb.src.gla.ac.uk> writes:
<some snipped stuff about Init/Default to set root window bg>
> Allan> /opt/gnome/bin/ee --root /opt/gnome/share/pixmaps/background.jpeg
>
> Erm. You need a #!/bin/sh on the first line. And check your
> permissions.

<slaps forehead> DOH!

Boy, do I feel stupid! Thanks!

> Allan> I also have a problem with gdm.conf. The [messages] section
> Allan> reads: Welcome=Welcome to %h which *ought* to expand to show
> Allan> the local hostname, but instead gives "Welcome to Gnome". Is
> Allan> there any reason for this?
>
> Fixed in CVS. The HOSTNAME environment variable isn't set when gdm is
> run from init(1).

That would explain it. I had also noticed that it did work when I just ran
gdm from the shell, without changing runlevel. I suppose I'd better download
the new stuff, then.

> Allan> Finally, I've noticed that when I close my window manager, not
> Allan> everything that was running gets closed. In particular, asclock
> Allan> remains open. This clearly shouldn't happen - how do I stop it?
>
> What do you mean by ``remains open''? Are you sure your session
> terminates properly? Does asclock stick around when gdmgreeter
> reappears?

Yup, that's pretty much what was happening. asclock was running as a
WindowMaker Dock app, and when I ended my session by quitting WindowMaker,
Gnome, the Dock, Clip, etc. would all disappear, and asclock would stay in
the corner of the screen as gdmgreeter appeared. Also, quite often,
gdmgreeter did *not* reappear at all when I ended a session, despite the
fact that I had closed everything in sight. (This doesn't, of course, rule
out the possibility of something "hidden" running that I couldn't see to
close)

I managed to fix all of these by following your advice from another mail and
removing the line:

#1=/usr/bin/X11/X

from gdm.conf.

Thanks