GDM configuration

Hi,

I've just (finally!) managed to get gdm installed and running, and I've got a
few questions. Please bear with me if they seem a bit basic - I'm still
working things out.

According to gdm-manual.txt, I ought to be able to put a script in
{gnome-prefix}/etc/gdm/Init to set the root window background image. I tried
creating a script named 'Default', containing the line:

/opt/gnome/bin/ee --root /opt/gnome/share/pixmaps/background.jpeg

which according ee --help ought to set the background image to background.jpeg
and then exit, but nothing appears to happen. Am I doing something wrong? I
thought of using xsetroot -bitmap <filename> to do the same thing, but I
couldn't find which file format xsetroot could accept.

I also have a problem with gdm.conf. The [messages] section reads:
Welcome=Welcome to %h
which *ought* to expand to show the local hostname, but instead gives
"Welcome to Gnome". Is there any reason for this?

Finally, I've noticed that when I close my window manager, not everything
that was running gets closed. In particular, asclock remains open. This clearly
shouldn't happen - how do I stop it?

If it's any help, I'm starting gdm from /etc/inittab with:

x:5:respawn:/opt/gnome/bin/gdm

and testing with 'telinit 5'.

Thanks,

Allan