Re: gnome freezes up my xserver

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999 22:01:13 -0800, Scott MacFiggen
<smurf@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:

>Ok, I spent most of last night compiling and installing the
>needed gnome packages according in the order specified by the
>website.. And it worked great like the first 2 times I brought up
>X. Ever since then it has frozen my X display. I've tried rebooting,
>clearing out the contents of ~/.gnome and ~/.gnome-private. I've
>tried using different window managers. I even changed my xserver
>from AcceleratedX to Xfree86 3.3.3.1. Basically what happens is the
>window manager comes up, then nothing really happens for about 5-6
>seconds, then my desktop turns color (orangeish or something I think)
>then it hangs.  I can move the mouse around still, and if I have an
>xterm up I can still type in it.

This seems to indicate that your X server isn't frozen...

(Being able to move the mouse pointer around is pretty normal, even during
most X server freezes.)

>gnome-config --version
>gnome-libs 0.99.7

Could you try it with the latest esound & gnome-libs out of CVS?

There is a fix in gnome-libs for a problem with the CORBA cookies that
could hang X servers. Since you can still type into an xterm, I really
doubt that this is the problem, but give it a try just in case.

The problem I think you are seeing is with esd getting into an infinite
loop, and when GNOME programs try to use esound they sit there waiting for
esd to respond. Did you run 'top' and see if esd was using up a lot of CPU
time during the "hang"?

-- Elliot
"In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
 versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
    - Steven Spielberg