Re: gnome freezes up my xserver

>On Sat, 13 Feb 1999 22:01:13 -0800, Scott MacFiggen
><smurf@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
>
>This seems to indicate that your X server isn't frozen...
>
>(Being able to move the mouse pointer around is pretty normal, even during
>most X server freezes.)

Right, it isn't frozen, I guess stuck is a better term.. the window manager
becomes unresponsive.. I figure the mouse can still move since it is
a hardware interupt thing.

>Could you try it with the latest esound & gnome-libs out of CVS?
>
>There is a fix in gnome-libs for a problem with the CORBA cookies that
>could hang X servers. Since you can still type into an xterm, I really
>doubt that this is the problem, but give it a try just in case.

I tried doing that last night but autogen.sh failed because of some
missing autoconf/automake macros. I didn't try too hard though.

>The problem I think you are seeing is with esd getting into an infinite
>loop, and when GNOME programs try to use esound they sit there waiting for
>esd to respond. Did you run 'top' and see if esd was using up a lot of CPU
>time during the "hang"?

Yeah, I had top running a couple of times. Nothing is taking up any CPU.
Also this started before I got esd working. Before it would complain
about not finding the esd server which I thought might be the
problem. I'll go try CVS again.

	-Scott