Esound and XEmacs

Well, I've finally got Gnome and Enlightenment installed and running
(really cool stuff here, I'm enjoying it).  I downloaded XEmacs and
compiled and installed it and it appears to not be an ESD friendly
application whatsoever.  Any time it's supposed to make a sound you
get the message "/dev/dsp is busy or unavailable."

This Will Not Do.

So I'm going to start hacking through the code and see if I can get it
to work with esound instead of fighting it.  I noticed some posts last
week regarding a gnome aware emacs and didn't think too much of it at
the time.  I'm interested in gnome development in general and I guess
that this would be a good way to get started getting my feet wet.

Questions:
1)  Anyone already working on this?  If it's about to be released then
I'm content to sit back and wait for someone else to do it.

2)  Anyone else interested in using this if I get it to work?
Otherwise I just keep my successes/failures to myself.

3)  Any advice, suggestions, criticisms, etc?

4)  Anyone else thinking of doing any other gnome related hacks to
emacs?  Perhaps there is room to collaborate.  I'm going to hold off
on trying to tie in gtk as a)  I'm too ignorant at this time to use it
and b) I don't really see any pressing need for it.

Just some thoughts,
-Daniel
==
Daniel L. Pasco---http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Lair/2160/
"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

A rose by any other name would likely be
"deadly thorn-bearing assault vegetation."