Re: Building RPMs from tarballs

: Processing files: gnome-core
: File not found: /var/tmp/gnome-core-root/usr/share/locale/*/*/*

This is the killer. This will prevent the packaging from being
completed. rpm could probably be a little more verbose about this,
but...

: > Usually they go in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/<archdir> unless you tell it
: > otherwise. Also, the _RPM_ does not get installed on your system from
: > a "-ba" even though the _software_ does get installed. This is an
: > important distinction.
:
: ???  So, there's a 'make install' as part of the process?

"rpm -i" ;-)

Actually what I said above is not true in this case. gnome-core.spec
is using /var/tmp/gnome-core-root as its build root so it doesn't
clobber your existing gnome-core as it builds. This is a good thing.

: I was hoping to bundle an RPM for a 'rpm -Uvh' of a package already
: on my system (I have gnome-core-0.99.3.2-2 already installed).  Is this
: the way to go?

It will be if you can get the RPM to build.

	- A