Re: Yet another newbie

Jesse D. Sightler wrote:
> > I'd be happy to be turning in quality bug reports, and even some
> > patches, but I need to get something up and running first.  Stable
> > RPMs would help.
>
> Then please turn in comprehensive, and useful reports on EXACTLY what
> the problems with the RPMs are.  Simply saying "there are some" isn't
> enough.  :)  Seriously, it works fine here.

Already did that -- see
http://www.gnome.org/mailing-lists/archives/gnome-list/1999-February/0177.html
for my first such report, which disappeared into the ether with
nary a response.  Since other people are reporting similar problems with
.spec files, and since the general tone of the responses has been "can't
be
bothered with RPMs, I'm busy coding", it's not terribly encouraged me to
submit more.

But since you asked, the trouble I've had with installing pre-built
RPMs had been prerequisites -- particularly gtk+.  Some RPMs require
1.1.13,
other 1.1.14.  I tried --nodeps, but apparantly the exact version is
required.  I've seen others report similar problems, so I haven't
bothered
mentioning it myself.

I'll continue my story of woe in trying to build my own RPMs in another
message ...

Zach