Re: Yet another newbie

Dave Reed wrote:
> Geez, give the developers a break - it's still in beta.  I'm certain
> once 1.0 comes out someone will spend the time to put together RPMS
> that work, but with new releases coming out weekly, other things are
> more important - like fixing bugs!

This is an incredibly short-sighted attitude.

Lack of stable RPMs is a significant deterrent to GNOME installation.
I don't think it's reasonable to expect everyone who wants fairly
up-to-date GNOME releases to do an anon CVS checkout.

I have yet to get a stable and working GNOME installation, either
through CVS or through attempts to grab fairly recent tarballs.  Now,
not to brag on myself, but I'm a moderately competent and experienced
software developer, new to Linux and this "gooey" stuff, but with some
years of Unix experience.  So I suspect I'm not the only one with
these problems.

I'd be happy to be turning in quality bug reports, and even some
patches, but I need to get something up and running first.  Stable
RPMs would help.

Otherwise, you're short-circuiting the "bugs are shallow to enough
eyeballs" effect that makes open-source software so powerful.

Zach