Re: Customisable Accelerators should be taken care off.

"Sergey I. Panov" wrote:

> There were already a message on the gnome list, in which author was
> asking if it is a feature not a bug. It is quite symptomatic. Because

That's me. :-)  I've figured out now that the customisable accelerators
are very nice, but I still think it needs some small work in Gnome to
deserve it's place in the interfaces's hall of fame.

Some of my remarks:

1) Should a menu entry both has an hotkey and a accel key? Their use IS
different, but I don't think anyone has significant advantage when he
can choose "<Ctrl>+S" or just "S" for saving his file.

2) Shouldn't we insist on using a modifier like the control or meta key
for acceleration? Now, I can set it to a single key like "N". To be
consistent, pressing "N" with the focus somewhere in the program, should
perform that action, but most programs swallows the key press and
ignores the binding. I don't have that problem when I use <Ctrl>+N or
<Alt>+N instead. On the other hand, allowing single keys opens a nice
way for a Gnome VI style editor, isn't? ;-p

3) (I don't know what stock menu entries are, forgive me.) We could
include (in gnome-libs?) a common interface to very often used actions
like "About..", "Open..", "Quit", "Copy", etc. The accelerators for
those actions are shared by all Gnome apps and can be modified using
gnomecc.

And, as already said, I think being able to turn of accel keys is cool,
but I think it hasn't to be done per application. Gnome-wide is ok for
me. At least you should be able to _clear_ the accel setting.

Kind greetings,

Wing Tung