Re: Yet another newbie

bob@kehs.ksd.org writes:

> Looking through cvs, there are spec files that dont make it into the
> balls. I have to grab the balls, go into cvs, grab the specs, change the
> version numbers in the specs, place them into the balls, and then build
> the rpms. The specs should be in the balls in the first place. If they do
> use a make <whatever> to generate the tarballs, the makefile or whatever
> is flawed because it does not include the spec that is already there. This
> should be considered a bug.
>
> I am reading up on how to make specs but I am not good enough at it yet.
> It will take me a while because I have little time to do it right now.
> (Hence not wanting to compile gnome for each one of my computers. I
> just want to compile it once for all.)
>
> Since I am building RPMS when I can, I would not mind giving them out to
> any one who wants them. I just need to be able to build the RPMS.

Not a lot of attention is given to getting the correct spec files into
the tarballs, because that can be a pain.  (Once you get the spec file
right, you have to go back and change the tarball again)

But, if you need a spec file to build a tarball, you can go to
ftp.gnome.org, and grab the most recent SRPM for that package. If we
don't have up to date RPM's yet, they won't be more than a version
lagged.

(Actually, if there aren't RPMs up for a tarball release, it probably
means that there are issues with the tarball release which are still
being resolved.)

                                        Owen