Re: rpm gnome libs .99.6 problems

I had a similar problem to this when updating my personal imlib RPMS.
Here is a summary of the problem:

Suppose you are compiling a library and some programs from a package, and
currently have an old version of the library on the system that has some
shlib dependencies in it (eg libgdk_imlib.so.1.9.0 may have a dependency
on libgdk-1.1.so.12 on your system).  Now when you compile the new version
of imlib, libtool will make sure that all the programs in the imlib
(ie imlib_config) link against the correct libraries (say
libgdk_imlib.so.1.9.2 and libg[dt]k-1.1.so.15).  Now when you do an "ldd
imlib_config", you will see that the dynamic linker chooses the already
installed version of libgdk_imlib, which in turn adds libgdk-1.1.so.12 to
the link list.

When the new version of libgdk_imlib is actually installed, the link list
will look correct, but when RPM is building the package, the incorrect one
is used giving an incorrect dependency list.

The two options are to uninstall the old version while building the new
one, or to build and install the new version from tarball before building
the RPM.

I hope this helps explain the wierd behaviour.

James Henstridge.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/