GLibc compilation problems

Hi,

I'm having problems compiling the glib component of Gnome (that's the first
component I'm trying to install) I'm in the glib directory and if I run
'./autogen.sh', it gives me the following error message while executing
../configure:

>-------SNIP-------<
checking for pthread.h... yes
checking for thread implementation... posix
checking for pthread_attr_init in -lpthread... (cached) no
checking for pthread_attr_init in -lpthreads... (cached) no
checking for pthread_attr_init in -lc_r... (cached) no
checking for pthread_attr_init... (cached) no
checking for __d10_pthread_attr_init in -lthread... (cached) no
checking for __pthread_attr_init_system in -lpthread... no
configure: error: I can't find the libraries for the thread implementation
                posix. Please choose another thread implementation or
                provide information on your thread implementation.

Now type 'make' to compile GLib.

Needless to say that typing 'make' to compile GLib doesn't really do too much
(except repeating the error message). I'm pretty sure that I have the latest
sources (I did a 'cvs -z3 update -d' to the official server directly before
trying to compile glib). I am running Linux kernel 2.0.35 and gcc 2.7.2.3.
Could anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

TIA,
Juergen