Gnome Icon Status Report #12 -- "A Sack Of Icons"

Gnome Icon Status Report
as of December 28th, 1999
by mawa

WHAT'S GOING ON?

Hallo. Nice to see you again, icon aficionados (afICONados :-). First,
there is a little issue to resolve. Apparently it has caused confusion that
I do not notify the artists immediately when their icons are added into the
tree. This notification only happens in the GISR. It may sometimes take
months until an icon makes it into the tree after long discussions and
such. I try to do the Right Thing here, and I don't care how long it takes.

So please, don't bypass me. I'm not some kind of control freak, but I've
got lots of icons laying around, and you can check most of them on Scott
Haug's icon page; it would be a pity if any of the effort made would be
duplicated to no good effect. Before making an icon, by all means before
adding an icon to the tree, check whether other candidates are available;
ideally, we should discuss which one to add. This will prevent the kind of
mess-up from happening that we had with the Eye of Gnome icon.

If anyone who isn't an artist wants to contribute, here's an idea. I think
we should try cleaning up the mess in gnome-core/pixmaps and move all the
icons that belong in other directories there. For example, gnome-gmenu.png
rightfully belongs in gnome-core/gmenu - in my opinion, that is. I'd like
some feedback regarding this issue.

WHAT HAS BEEN DONE:

  * There's an icon for the Development directory;
  * GnomeCard finally has a new icon;
  * the speaker icon has been replaced with the new multimedia icon
    wherever it means multimedia and not just sound;
  * the Applications directory has been given a very pretty icon;
  * someone has made an icon for GNotes;
  * dito for the clipboard applet;
  * dito for Glade.

Finally, a slew of new icons has been added to the file manager, GMC.
Consider this the artists' Christmas present to the Gnome community.

There are icons for:

  * Enlightenment themes
  * Java source
  * PHP files
  * Rejected patches (.rej files)
  * SQL source
  * S3M modules
  * STM modules
  * xfig figures

Keep bringing those on!

MISSING ICONS IN THE FOOT MENU:

Submenu icons:

  * Administration
  * Settings (candidate available)

Games:

  * gTuring (candidates available)
  * Gnomehack
  * Gnotski

Settings Submenus:

  * User Interface Options

Settings:

  * Gnome Edit Properties
  * Save Current Session
  * Session Manager Properties

User Interface Options:

  * Application Defaults
  * MDI (candidate in the making)

Utilities:

  * Text File Viewer (gless; candidate in the making)
  * Gnome Penguin
  * GDict (candidate in the making)

MISSING ICONS IN THE PANEL CONTEXT MENU:

"Add" submenu:

  * Status dock

Amusements:

  * Sixty Four Bits

Clocks:

  * Clock
  * AfterStep Clock

Monitors:

  * SwapLoad
  * NetLoad (candidate in the making)

Network:

  * WebControl
  * URL Collector

Utility:

  * Mini Commander
  * GDict (candidate in the making)
  * Where am I?
  * QuickLaunch
  * bug-applet

CONFLICTS

  * Balsa and TkRat using same icon
  * Gnome PPP, Internet Submenu, XSiteCopy using same icon
  * Printer applet, GULP using same icon

(I've removed the line concerning Go and Gwp since those seem to have been
discontinued.)

SUBOPTIMAL ICONS

  * Bitgrazer: has text, is not shaped
  * Glines: could use transparency
  * GnomeCard: as mentioned above: new one needed
  * GQview: a logo, not shaped, illegible, too massive
  * HAL 2001: both the icon and the actual panel pixmap are not shaped and
    thus there's an ugly black square around them (we're working on it)
  * Logview icon: metaphor is not international
  * Imlib Properties: Yet Another Blank Page Icon
  * Screem: is a logo
  * Utilities menus: Swiss Army knife could do with more contrast

Feel free to comment.

TOTAL

We've reduced the number of necessary icons to about 30, but mind you, when
that number goes down to zero, I'll install such a slew of new applications
on my system that there'll always be work for the artists :).

Thanks to all who have contributed.

REMARKS

Send any ideas, remarks or contributions to me as I have now got official
permission to add them to the CVS tree. Have a look at GITHNYBM if you want
to make icons.

Don't compress icons individually when submitting them to me. Either pack
several into a tarball or (preferred) send unpacked PNGs. Zipping a single
PNG file is pointless as PNG compresses internally.

If you've got any nice, big logos for Gnome applications, please submit
them; they'll be needed for Phase 2.

Please, please, please: If you want to make icons, make icons that are
mentioned in the report as needed. Don't send me another dozen of ZIP drive
icons or of Adobe PDF icons. Do not make a new icon before having checked
whether a candidate exists on the icon page. Thanks.

mawa (mawa@iname.com)
--
Marijuana is nature's way of saying, "Hi!".