error in loading libgnomesupport.so.0

Package: gnome-libs
Version: cvs as of 1999-12-26

When I run sudo make install in gnome-print, I get this:

./gnome-font-install: error in loading shared libraries:
libgnomesupport.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory

but when I su to root and run make install without sudo, there are
no problems.

Similarly, when gdm2 is run by init, it can't load libgnomesupport,
but when I log in as root and run it by hand, it works.

I have all my gnome stuff in /opt/gnome and /etc/ld.so.conf includes
/opt/gnome/lib.

Now, here's the kicker: All this *used* to work until recently. Has
gnome changed or is it my Debian potato installation that changed?

In case it's the former, I'm reporting this as a bug, and in case
it's the latter, I'm asking the list for help.