Re: Session Management: restoring an old configuration

On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 11:35:24AM -0700 or thereabouts, Eric Peers wrote:
> on occasion, I get "kill" happy and manage to let my window manager kill
> off the Panel on the bottom of my screen. [snip]
> But what I'd like to be able to do is squirrel away a copy of a working
> session (with all my configs for my Panel, backgrounds, etc.) and then
> restore this particular session. I don't want the default session. Can I
> accomplish this by copying over a gnome directory? What gnome config files
> do I need to modify to point at this "working" session?

I copy my .gnome directory over to .gnerk or .gnurgle or some suitably
stupid name if I'm about to start playing about with everything and
want a backup in case I break things.

Tom Gilbert posted a couple of lines you could add to your .xinitrc
(if you use 'startx' to start Gnome) to make an automatic backup
each time you started Gnome. It's in the mailing list archives,
either on the web, at http://www.gnome.org/mailing-lists/index.shtml
or through the 'retrieve old post' mail thing which I forget how to use :)

> Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 13:25:32 +0000
> From: Tom Gilbert <gilbertt@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: Why oh why is Gnome eating my panel! (Frustration == MAX)

However, if you have an xterm (gnome-terminal, whatever) open, you
should be able to type 'panel' or 'panel &' (that latter if you want
to keep using that xterm and want your prompt back) to get the panel
back, no? Or does this result in the 'Warning, another panel detected'
message that I recall from a while ago?

As to which particular file you want to copy, if you don't want to
copy the entire directory, looking in .gnome I'd say that these look
promising:
	~/.gnome/panel
	~/.gnome/panel.d/default/panel

I know you said you didn't want the default one, but looking in that
second one, I see all the stuff I've added in that, and it's dated
as today. I have no clue how they're used or anything, but it's
a place to start, at least :)

Telsa