Session Management: restoring an old configuration

on occasion, I get "kill" happy and manage to let my window manager kill
off the Panel on the bottom of my screen. So then I have no way of closing
gnome/enlightenment unless I ctl+alt+backspace. When I restart X, all of
my previous session's configurations are lost. It defaults to a brand new
session. This is fine behavior and what I would expect if a user has
completely hosed his/her system.

But what I'd like to be able to do is squirrel away a copy of a working
session (with all my configs for my Panel, backgrounds, etc.) and then
restore this particular session. I don't want the default session. Can I
accomplish this by copying over a gnome directory? What gnome config files
do I need to modify to point at this "working" session?

Thanks!
	--Eric