Re: Thoughts & suggestions

+++ Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 02:46:47PM -0800 +++
Loban Amaan Rahman e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> (5) There are several kinds of GTK themes - pixmap, plain gtkrc, engine,
> etc. Pixmap ones may look pretty but are slower and memory-hungrier.

This is getting addresssed by the GTK 1.4 pixmap engine based on
gdkpixbuf.

> There
> is no easy way to find out what type a particular gtk theme is. I'd like
> to be able to know.

Look into its gtkrc.

> (6) I've been comparing KDE icons and Gnome icons recently. I don't
> mean to complain or start flames, but it seemed the KDE icons tended
> to look prettier. This is NOT because the Gnome icons are just ugly,
> rather, the KDE icons have two things going for them:
>
> 	(a) They contain a lot of bright, primary colors, that stand
> 	out. Always good.

Um, no.

> Gnome icons, I've noticed, go for a greater
> 	variety of colors, but have too much of the duller kind.
> 	(b) KDE icons have dark, black, outlines. This makes the icon
> 	more well-defined. Gnome icons have that "shadow" thing, but
> 	need to be outlined everywhere with nice dark lines.

No.

Your personal taste is not a general standard. Some people prefer
their icons to look neither cartoonish nor like candy wrap. So did
Tigert, who pretty much created the Gnome style.

If you want to develop an alternative icon set for Gnome, go ahead.
Support for changing icon sets is going to be implemented anyway
AFAIK.

mawa
--
I think the OS market will rather be like the Maglite market than the
Ford market.