Re: Memprof anyone? && WM/Gnome too slow

> > I think your problem is that you are exiting the application before
> > running the summaries.  If you quit the app, then the Leaks summary will
> > complain about the subprocess exiting unexpectedly, and the Profile
> > summary will seg fault.  Just run the summaries before quitting the app
> > and you should be fine.

Nope that's not the case. I don't quit the app. What happens is that
most of the time, the app never even gets displayed. I type in the
command and memprof seems to be loading it up (the status bar on the top
keeps growing), but then in the middle it just stops - nothing gets
displayed and neither profile nor leaks button works. When I press them
either
	(a) nothing happens
	(b) the program segfaults
	(c) I get this weird message a billion times ...

		"Stack to large for atomic write, truncating!"

> > About slow WM/Gnome,  I mentioned on another thread that for some reason
> > Window Maker had started to be very slow.  I switched to E, but no
> > difference.  I am currently running Sawmill because I want to try out
> > the WM that may become the new default.  Shortly before I logged out,
> > while still running E, I quit gaim.  Then all my speed came back.  I
> > later ran gaim from memprof and found that it has several memory leaks.
> > My problem is that I have a habit of leaving gaim and GnomeICU running,
> > running xlock and going to class for a few hours.  Eventually, all my
> > memory was gone (64MB) and most of my swap too (~100MB).
> >

> Maybe it have nothing to do with that,
> but be carreful using gnomeicu, sometime it will crash
> ( even if it appear to be alive ) and eat all your cpu.
> ( this is a bug of the latest release ).

Actually it IS because of Gaim. I used to Gaim and Licq running all the
time and would get the "sluggishness increase over time", even if no
other apps would be running. Checking top periodically suggested that
Gaim had a memory leak. I experimented a couple of days by running only
licq for a while and only gaim for a while. Gaim's memory space would
definitely grow continuously. I think the leak occurs when gaim get's
disconnected from the server and auto-reconnects, and also maybe when
a buddy disconnects and reconnects.

|       LOBAN AMAAN RAHMAN  <-- anagram of -->  AHA! AN ABNORMAL MAN!      |
|   Snail: MSC #763, Caltech, Pasadena, CA 91126, USA. ** 1-626-395-1407   |
|     Wired: loban@earthling.net, loban@caltech.edu, http://i.am/loban     |
| (Do 'finger loban@ugcs.caltech.edu' for my PGP public key and more info) |