Why E? was RE: Milestones document

First of all THANKS to the people who answered my questions
on memory.

Don, I have read that E is a big memory hog. I use IceWM myself
and it seems to work fine with Gnome and if I understand correctly,
IceWM is much smaller.

To Anybody: Is there any reason I should use E and not IceWM.
What are your thoughts on these and other WMs in relationship
to Gnome?

No doubt this topic has been discussed ad-nosium, sorry,
I just got here. ;-)

Mike

--- "Poletti, Don" <don.poletti@comverse-in.com> wrote:
> Speaking of memory,
>
> I have not used Gnome much many because on my system it seems
> considerablly slower than Windoze. One of main reasons as far as I
> can tell is due to memory. I have 32 megs and while that is not alot
> by todays standards it should be more than sufficient to bring up
> a desktop and an app or three.
>
> Of course Linux sucks up free ram to use as disk buffers, while this
> is a good thing it makes it hard to determine memory usage.
>
> To recapitulate...
> 1) How much Memory does Gnome use?
> 2) How can I minimize memory usage?
> 3) Is there a conscience effort in development to minimize memory?
> 4) Is there some other reason Linux/gnome/E is slower than Windoze?
>
> Ok there were new questions in there so it wasn't recapitulating but
> my
> kids have made me watch cat-in-the-hat every day for weeks so the
> word
> has grown on me.
>
> In other forums similar questions have led to "buy more memory" my
> response to that is that windoze runs well in 32 megs why can't
> linux/gnome/E?
>

> --
>         FAQ: Frequently-Asked Questions at
> http://www.gnome.org/gnomefaq