Re: Logout button in gnome?

Svante Signell <svante.signell@telia.com> writes:

> Where to configure the gnome logout button?
>
> On one machine running redhat-rawhide and gnome I can either logout from
> X, halt or reboot as an ordinary user, just by responding with the
> user password. On another machine, running Debian/Potato and gnome the
> logout entries does NOT include the halt or reboot options.

So there is a program in Red Hat which is suid root, like
/usr/bin/shutdown (*not* /usr/sbin/shutdown) which provides the checking
for password then rebooting.  So the panel checks for this file, which
accounts for the Debian && Red Hat machines to act differently.

> Being able to shut down the computer as an ordinary user is VERY
> important if it is to be used as a desktop, since then several users
> should be able to start/shut down WITHOUT knowing the root password.

GDM has a menu item for rebooting, which seems easy enough to use.

Jacob
--
"Me fail English?  That's unpossible!" - R. Wiggum