Command line options to an applet?

Hi,

I like the gweather applet. However, like most people, I only have a
dialup connection, thus making the automatic update option
useless. Remembering to manually updating the applet whenever I'm
online is also out of question, so I'd like to patch gweather to
allow remote update---that is, from my modem connect script.

Now, looking at the applet code and the options already there, things
seem a bit weird. How would I go about this?

As I see it, it would just require calling the
   void gweather_update (void)
function, but how?

Is there maybe an example for that somewhere?

TIA,
  Colin