Re: Gnome-Terminal and transparency

> Yes, you've summarised very neatly what I find. I'm still
> at October Gnome rather than 1.0.54 but it's been consistent
> and persistent since I first started playing with this.
> I -think- there may be a bug in bugs.gnome.org about it
> from me, but it might have been closed as at one stage I
> thought it was fixed and said so :)

Regarding the transparency thing, I have sent a bug report
to bugs.gnome.org as well. Maybe someone will have a look
at it...it's #3898.
I think the bug is some sort of timing problem. Gnome-Terminal
refuses to become transparent if it cannot find a background,
so you will never get a transparent terminal if you don't have
a pixmap or color defined as background.
Maybe at login the background is not yet there, but gome-terminal
tries to find it and falls back to no transparency.

> I am curious. When you look at 'printenv' (assuming you're
> using bash or something similar), does gnome-terminal also
> think it's a dumb terminal? This happens to me when I restart
> Gnome and a terminal from the last session restarts, too :)

My gnome-terminal claims to be a xterm, which is how it is
described in the manual.

> I also have some complications to do with the fact that I set
> a whole bunch of different set-ups with the preferences
> for gnome-terminal, and gave them all different names; and
> it restarts up with most peculiar effects. I need to restart
> Gnome to remind myself of the details, but essentially
> it seems to get confused about whether it should run a 'Default'
> gnome-terminal, the one I was last using, or the one I was last
> using but give it the name #Default' even though it's not.
> (Confused yet? I was..)

I have also some different setups for gnome-terminal and
there are in fact some odd things, but not really the same you have
encountered. E.g., whenever I switch from a setting with scrollbar
to one without scrollbar the scrollbar remains visible but the
settings show "hidden". I then select "hidden" once more and
the scrollbar disappears :-)

Best regards,

Ben