Re: RH5.2 to RH6.1 Upgrade Problem

On Wed, Dec 01, 1999 at 01:02:00PM -0500, Martin Kew wrote:
Martin> Hi,
Martin>
Martin> After the upgrade from Redhat5.2 to Redhat6.1 of my standalone home
Martin> system (where KDE was my old desktop).  When I logged on (for the first
Martin> time) as root, Gnome said that it could not configure itself correctly
Martin> and suggested a change to /etc/hosts.  Can any body provide assistance
Martin> for a newcomer to Linux.

most likely, your hostname can't be resolved. use linuxconf or edit your /etc/hosts.

i.e. add the line

193.9.211.12 foobarmachine
^^^Your IP     ^^^your machine name

to /etc/hosts.

jr
Closed Hearing for the Caption Impaired...
on the web at http://ruby.ddiworld.com/jreed