Gnome error log?

I started to use Gnome recently, so I am sorry if it sounds like a stupid
question. Sometimes when I try to start a program from Gnome menu, nothing
happens, and no error message is displayed. Is there an error log where I
can see what went wrong? May be it's a good idea to display a message when a
program cannot be started for whatever reason, like path does not exist, or
user does not have rights to execute it, etc.
Regards,
Leonid