internal compiler errors

my compiler seems to have recently broken. it was working fine until the latest batch of gnome updates, but now whenever i try to to compile a gnome/gtk program i get an error like

Project.cc:172: Internal compiler error.
Project.cc:172: Please submit a full bug report to `egcs-bugs@egcs.cygnus.com'.
Project.cc:172: See <URL:http://egcs.cygnus.com/faq.html#bugreport> for details.make[2]: *** [Project.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/grpmw-0.1/source'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/grpmw-0.1'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

or something similar (depending on the package) the error always includes the phrase "internal compiler error". i am not a programmer, so i don't know if this qualifies for a gnome bug report, but i do know that it is happening on gnome/gtk programs, and that i have not installed anything that would modify my compiler or other libs (including gtk itself) since it broke.

my system is redhat 6.0 on a k6-2 400 and i have all the redhat errata updates, and XF86 3.3.4. here are my gnome versions

ee:                           0.3.8
esound:                       0.2.12
esound-devel:                 0.2.12
glib:                         1.2.3
glib-devel:                   1.2.3
package gnome-admin is not installed
gnome-admin:
gnome-audio:                  1.0.0
gnome-audio-extra:            1.0.0
gnome-core:                   1.0.7
gnome-core-devel:             1.0.7
gnome-games:                  1.0.2
gnome-libs:                   1.0.12
gnome-libs-devel:             1.0.12
gnome-linuxconf:              0.22
gnome-media:                  1.0.1
gnome-network:                1.0.2
gnome-objc:                   1.0.2
gnome-pim:                    1.0.8
gnome-users-guide:            1.0.5
gnome-utils:                  1.0.12
gtk+:                         1.2.3
gtk+-devel:                   1.2.3
gtk-engines:                  0.5
switchdesk-gnome:             1.7.0
xchat:                        1.0.0

(btw, anyone know where i can get a binary of screem? ;-)

--
Dr. Whiz-Bang
whizbang@nbnet.nb.ca