Gnome Icon Status Report #4 -- "In Gimp We Trust"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gnome Icon Status Report
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
as of August 29th, 1999
by mawa

WHAT'S GOING ON?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the major revamp of the panel menus that happened recently, Jacob
made use of the patch I suggested. This means that all entries in the
panel context menu have got an icon (except one); it also means that a
huge tree of options has been added. Whether we even want to try to
have icons for all the options is the question.

The Gnomba developers have asked for icons. The respective mail
should be available in the gnome-list mail archive. Here is a chance
for anyone who wants to make a real *lot* of icons. :) Probably, I'll
add the needed icons to GITHNYBM soon.

I've got some icons for new file types lying around (that is, guitar
tabulature files, Enlightenment themeballs etc. etc.). Midnight
Commander gurus with time to spare please mail me; I don't know how to
integrate new file types into gmc.

THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN DONE:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Applet desktop entries changed and committed:
The Modem Lights applet installs and uses gnome-modem.png;
Fifteen installs and uses gnome-fifteen.png;
cpumemusage, cpuload and memload use appropriate icons;
the Battery applet installs and uses gnome-battery.png.

Foot menu desktop entries changed and committed:
Gnotravex finally uses the icon it's been coming with for ages;
the MIME type capplet uses gnome-ccmime.png;
gw installs and uses gnome-who.png;
guname uses gnome-info.png;
gnorpm installs and uses gnorpm.png.

MISSING ICONS IN THE FOOT MENU:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Main menu icons:
- Favourites
- Panel

Submenu icons:
- Applications
- Games
- Graphics
- Administration

Games:
- gTuring

Graphics:
- ggv

Internet:
- Gnome Mailman
(10) - gftp

System:
- Shut Down or Reboot

Settings Submenus:
- Multimedia
- Peripherals
- User Interface Options

Settings:
- Gnome Edit Properties
- Shut Down or Reboot

User Interface Options:
- Application Defaults
- MDI

Utilities:
(20) - Text File Viewer (gless)
- Gnome Penguin
- guiTAR
- System monitor using "foot question mark" icon
- GDict

Administration:
- GULP

MISSING ICONS IN THE PANEL CONTEXT MENU:
Main panel context menu:
- Favourites

"Add Applet" submenus:
- Amusements
- Monitors
- Utility (could use same icon as Utilities in foot menu)

Amusements submenu:
(30) - Game of Life

Clocks:
- Clock
- AfterStep Clock
- Clock and Mailcheck
- JBC Binary Clock
- Another Clock

Monitors:
- Disk Usage (could use same as GDiskFree)
- SwapLoad
- NetLoad

Multimedia:
- Sound Monitor

Network:
(40) - Mailcheck
- WebControl
- Clock and Mailcheck

Utility:
- Gnome Pager
- Mini Commander
- GDict
- Tick-a-Stat
- Task List
- Desk Guide
- Where am I?
(50) - GNotes!
- QuickLaunch
- Process management (gproc)
- Clipboard

CONFLICTS
~~~~~~~~~
- Foot menu: "About" and "About Gnome..." using same icon (I've been
  told this is intentional, but it means that guname is known under two
  different icons)
- Balsa and TkRat using same icon
- Go and Gwp using same icon
- GnomENIUS and gnome-calc using same icon
- Gnome PPP and Internet Submenu using same icon
- Sound properties, Multimedia submenu using same icon
(60) - "Show documentation index", "Show history window" and "Show
  bookmarks window" in the help browser using same stock pixmap

TOTAL
~~~~~

We're down to about 60 lacking icons. I have not considered the Panel
Properties menu tree, which has got about 20 empty positions. :)

Thanks to all who have contributed.

REMARKS
~~~~~~~

Send any ideas, remarks or contributions to me as I have now got
official permission to add them to the CVS tree. Have a look at
GITHNYBM if you want to make icons.

Some tips: Gnome icons usually are
- shaped
- transparent where possible (that is, no background in the icon
  itself)
- not logos (no text!)

The icons of GLines, GQview and Electric Eyes do not really fit
in. EE's icon should be shaped; GQview should consider using a
different icon that is not a logo (IMHO, GQview's current icon is as
ugly as sin); and GLines' icon should be transparent instead of using
a grey background. Have a look at the icons of Iagno and gAtaxx to see
what I mean. Thanks.

mawa <mawa@iname.com>
--
He could wait. He could sit here in his wheelchair and breathe oxygen
and protect the Indians, the blacks, the women, the poor, the