Gnome-terminal problem with less

Hello,
    With xterm and early versions of gnome-terminal I noticed that with
less and other programs that use it such as man the output from less
would go away when you exited the program, returning the screen to the
state it was in when less ran. Then at some point after gnome 1.0 was
released it started behaving in a better manner, leaving the output from
less on the screen. However, it has now returned to it's old behavior,
and I would like to get it to leave the output from less on the screen
again. I am using gnome-core 1.0.9 and gnome-libs 1.0.12 . Unfortunatly
I am not aware at what version it began behaving the way I like or at
what version it when back to behaving in the way I don't like. Can
anyone tell me how to fix this behavior?

Harry Henry Gebel             ICQ# 43675297
West Dover Hundred, Delaware