Best way to keep upto date?

Hi

I've been happily using Gnome for a while on RH5.2 + rpms provided on
www.gnome.org. I'm aware that things have moved on and I want to keep
upto date.

1. I've recently discovered (from postings to this list)
"ftp.gurulabs.com". Does any one know if I could use the SRPMS on my RH5.2
system?

2. If I can't grab the srpms, which bits of gnome (gnome-*, lib*) are
core? Should I remove the existing version before upgrading? Should I
remove the settings in ~/.gnome before restarting gnome after an
upgrade? Will running "./configure --prefix=/usr" ensure that anything I
build from a tarball installs into /usr (which is where all my rpm stuff
is).?

Thanks in advance
-Andrew