Re: gnome not working because of sound.

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Stefan Langerman wrote:

> Well, since I don't have a sound card, I shouldn't need a /dev/dsp right?

The device files should always exist even if no device is behind them.

> Except for a case like this... so let me precise my question: Is
> there a way to tell gnome not to try to play sounds

Yes - use the "Sound properties" part of the control center.

I'm trying to fix esound so it doesn't do a bunch of repeated startup
attempts if /dev/dsp can't be opened, but this will take time.
-- Elliot
Who me? I just wander from room to room.