Re: Quick way to match programs to packages

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Telsa wrote:

> I haven't seen many replies to my long long post about making it easier
> to report bugs, so I'll keep this short in case I send people to sleep.

I was going to reply to it, but was a little on the busy side...

> I was grumbling (in part) that I found it took a long time to work out
> what package a particular program belonged to, which makes even the
> first stage of reporting a bug (putting that "package" header in) a pain.

Yup. Mind you, gVersion isn't bas, although it doesn't find one of my
packages.

> My dearly beloved type took pity on me, decided to demonstrate shell-
> scripting, got carried away, and the result is a script that works on
> systems which have the rpm and locate commands (that means Red Hat,
> Mandrake, and Suse (?) but unfortunately not Debian and Slack) and which
> lets you type,

Heh, Good old Alan :)

[ snip ]

> PS I still think having the package in the "About" box where the program
> name is given would help :)

Well, I do have a better suggestion. I was thinking about the way the
Windows (MS) manages to pack quite a bit into the zillions of widgets it
uses, especially the enhancements with IE4/5. The Start menu is one.

Anyway, I clicked our beloved foot menu, and right-clicked on an entry.
Low and behold five entries appeared in a menu. Now this could be my cvs
version folks, so try it yourself, but it looks promising. Anyway, why not
put some more stuff in there?

"Show full file path"
"Show package containing this program"
"Show program version"