Gnome Icon Status Report #3 -- "The long and winding menu"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gnome Icon Status Report
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
as of August 22th, 1999
by mawa

WHAT'S GOING ON?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are people painting icons; I put them into CVS... that's about
all.:)

GITHNYBM has been updated. The gnome-icons module should be the first
place anyone wanting to paint icons for the project should go.

Telsa <hobbit@aloss.ukuu.org.uk> is putting together a couple of
panel background pixmaps. The one he sent me as an appetiser is great
already; I can't wait to see the rest. If anyone has got more such
pixmaps, they should contact Telsa or me.

THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN DONE:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Applet desktop entries changed and committed:
SlashApp now installs and uses slashapp.png;
the Gnome Fish installs and uses gnome-fish.png;
GEyes installs and uses gnome-eyes.png.

Foot menu desktop entries changed and committed:
gfontsel installs and uses gnome-fontsel.png;
gnome-util.png has been added to gnome-core/pixmaps and is now used by
Utilities.directory.
gnome-admin now installs a .directory file for Administration;
gEdit now uses gnome-gedit.png like they should.

The author/maintainer of the Character Picker applet has announced
that he is going to take care of providing an icon.

MISSING ICONS IN THE FOOT MENU:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Submenu icons:
- Applications
- Games
- Graphics
- Administration
- Panel

Games:
- Gnotravex
- gTuring

Graphics:
- ggv

Internet:
- Gnome Mailman
(10) - gftp

System:
- GnoRPM is using "foot question mark" icon
- Shut Down or Reboot

Settings Submenus:
- Multimedia
- Peripherals
- User Interface Options

Settings:
- Gnome Edit Properties
- Mime Types
- Shut Down or Reboot

User Interface Options:
- Application Defaults
(20) - MDI

Utilities:
- System Info (guname)
- User Listing (gw)
- Text File Viewer (gless)
- Gnome Penguin
- guiTAR
- System monitor using "foot question mark" icon
- GDict

Administration:
- GULP

MISSING ICONS IN THE PANEL CONTEXT MENU:
Main panel context menu:
- System menus (should use same icon as foot menu)
(30) - User menus (should use same icon as foot menu)
- Add applet
- Add swallowed app
- Convert to corner panel

"Add Applet" submenus:
- Amusements
- Monitors
- Utility

Amusements submenu:
- Fifteen
- Game of Life

Clocks:
- Clock
(40) - AfterStep Clock
- Clock and Mailcheck
- JBC Binary Clock
- Another Clock

Monitors:
- Battery Charge Monitor
- CPU/MEM Usage
- Disk Usage
- CPULoad
- MemLoad
- SwapLoad
(50) - NetLoad

Multimedia:
- Sound Monitor

Network:
- Mailcheck
- Web Control
- Clock and Mailcheck
- Modem Lights

Utility:
- Character Picker
- Gnome Pager
- Mini Commander
- GDict
(60) - Tick-a-Stat
- Task List
- Desk Guide
- Where am I?
- GNotes!
- QuickLaunch
- Process management (gproc)

CONFLICTS
~~~~~~~~~
- Foot menu: "About" and "About Gnome..." using same icon
- Balsa and TkRat using same icon
- GnomENIUS and gnome-calc using same icon
(70) - Gnome PPP and Internet Submenu using same icon
- Sound properties, Multimedia submenu using same icon
- Multimedia submenu in foot menu and Multimedia submenu in applet menu
  using same icon (OK IMHO)
- same thing with Internet submenu in foot menu and Network submenu in
  applet menu
- "This panel properties..." and "Global properties..." using same
  icon
- "Show documentation index", "Show history window" and "Show
  bookmarks window" in the help browser using same stock pixmap

TOTAL
~~~~~

We still need about 75 icons. I must remark that the total number of
entries in my foot menu, which is the only base for my estimates, is
rising all the time :). Lots of the icons that we need have already
been made and only need to be put in the tree. I'll try not to
procrastinate too much and do it soon.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

REMARKS
~~~~~~~

Send any ideas, remarks or contributions to me as I have now got
official permission to add them to the CVS tree. Have a look at
GITHNYBM if you want to make icons.

A note for Ben and everyone else who paints icons: please, please, do
not only keep them on some Web page and tell us "hey, I've updated
them". The question is, which ones? At least keep a ChangeLog on your
site so I can see which icons have been added and which have been
changed. That would make my job considerably easier. Thank you.

mawa <mawa@iname.com>
--
Maturity is only a short break in adolescence.
		-- Jules Feiffer