panel won't save settings!

somebody, please help me with this.  how do you get the panel to save
its configuration?  i've built all the gnome stuff from source tarballs
and installed everything and everything seems to be running just fine
(much better than on my work machine, fwiw), except for the fact that,
whenever i restart x, all of the changes i made to the panel are gone.
heck, i didn't even have a ~/.gnome/panel.d directory until i created
it by hand and even then nothing happened with it.  the first time
anything got put into ~/.gnome/panel.d was when i started up x and
had wmaker start instead of gnome-session and then launched panel
from the command line.  all i got there was a "default" subdirectory.
when i changed my .xinitrc back to exec gnome-session instead of
wmaker, everything was back to the normal default panel, not the
customized one.  i checked the normal x output (redirected stderr
and stdout to ~/xlog) and didn't find anything strange.  other gnome
apps seem to save their settings just fine.

i'm at a loss here.  i have no idea what the problem is, but i'm
getting _very_ frustrated and i'm about to chuck gnome.  will
anyone help me?

thanks,
pete

PGP signature