Re: Gnome Icon Status Report #2 -- "Spice up the menu" (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 07:51:48 +0200
From: Torsten Rahn <torsten@kde.org>
To: frantzdb@admin.arhs.net
Subject: Re: Gnome Icon Status Report #2 -- "Spice up the menu"

Hi, it seems that my last mail got lost !?!?

Could you forward this mail please? I ´m too lazy to subscribe to your
mailing-list again ... Thanks in advance!

> | I just found http://www.kde.org/kde-icons.html which is a nice list
of a
>       | bunch of KDE's icons. I think the last thing we should do is
steal them
>       | per se, but I found it's very easy to gnomeify them
(redraw/modify them to
>       | match the gnome look.)
>
> Yes please don't use them as is. They are horrible.

Small correction: they are as beautiful as possible for LoColor-icons
using 32x32 pixels *and* a fixed palette of 40 colors *and* a consistent

style-guide that was developed under aspects of usability.
But you´re right: gnome lacks LoColor-icons that prevent poor dithering
in some situations (as reported by some people who use kde instead of
GNOME because of this and who got quite upset when we (KDE)
thought about dropping LoColor-icons.).

If you want some more recent information about kde-icon-development
look here:

KDE 1.1.2:

ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/icons/eyecandy.jpg

KDE 2.0:

http://www.kde.org/kde2shots.html

Style-Guides for KDE 1.1.2 and KDE 2:

http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/icon-style.html

Note: the Style-Guides are not up-to-date
-- the LoColor-icons already
match the look of the HiColor-icons by now and I should ask Cristian
Tibirna to update the HiColor-page to show the complete set of
HiColor-icons as well.

You could also compile some recent kde-snapshots or wait some three
weeks for the next kde-release featuring a complete set of icons for
*every* app and mimetype.
Every set consists of:

48x48 HiColor -icons
32x32 HiColor -icons
32x32 LoColor -icons
(and of course 16x16-LoColor-icons)

(Which means that we had to create / update several hundered icons. This

process took several months and is now very near to completion ....)
You can swich between normal (32x32) and large icons (48x48) for kpanel
and the rest of the desktop seperately now.

If you have any questions concerning icon-development feel free to
contact me !

Cheers,

Torsten Rahn, kde-artist-team
torsten@kde.org