GNOME and WindowMaker

I'm running the latest GNOME/WindowMaker. Are these two made to work with
each other?
My RH 6.0 came setup with GNOME/E, but E keeps crashing on me and messing up
my settings - even though I got the latest RPMs for GNOME/E from RedHat.
For instance, where do I find the option to 'refresh' the desktop; I can no
longer find it now that I'm using WindowMaker. How do I tell GNOME now to
re-create the icons?
And sometimes gmc dumps core on me - many times actually.
Is the GNOME/E combination something that works better or can I pick other
window manager?

Please advise

Thank you.