Re: my shortlist of GNOME wishes

> I don't know how to make a friendly GUI environment that is also
> friendly to automation.  If there's a solution, I'm sure you guys will
> find it.  One thing that comes to mind would be some way of viewing
> the command-line alternative to any series of actions in a GUI.

Would this be possible to write? If so, I think that's a really cool
idea. One of my problems recently was trying to work out what programs
actually get run by menu items. (I find it easier to type than to guide
a mouse about, and faster to type, say, 'xv &' than to click lots of
times and curse as my mouse makes a break for freedom.) But clicking
on a menu entry like 'about myself', there is no way to learn that I'm
actually using a program called 'userinfo'. My usual solution is to
run 'top' or various versions of ps and see what starts up :)

As I type this now, of course, I've just realised that the answer to
my problem was hidden in /usr/share/gnome/... where the menu entries
live. D'oh :)

I don't know whether this would do for what you wanted to do, though..?

Telsa