Re: non-root accounts & "halt"/"reboot" options when logging out

When you are Root, try to set the SID option to the
/sbin/shutdown prg (the option s of chmod : chmod s+a).
After all users can call "shutdown -h now" for turn off and
"shutdown -r now" for reboot.
You can add aliases for these commands, it's more
friendly.

xdm.  Its intended use is such that I would like to have
the users be able to shut it down or reboot it as they
would a W95 box (it is in fact a dual boot with W95),
without needing to know the root password.

> Gnome, as installed by the RH6 installer, seems ready to
support such a configuration, but it only works for the
root account.  The Gnome user-guide seems to imply that
this should work for users as well.

> I've searched both the RedHat and Gnome web sites, and
the online help without being able to find out for sure if
a user should be able to exit Gnome with either the "halt"
or "reboot" options, and if so what I need to do to make it
work.  I expected this to be an FAQ, but apparently
not....

> FWIW, the user accounts were created with useradd, using
the standard skeleton supplied by RH6.

http://www.gnome.org/gnomefaq