Re: non-root accounts & "halt"/"reboot" options when logging out

* Andrew MacIntyre (andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au) [990817 11:12]:
> I've just installed RedHat 6 (workstation cfg), running xdm.  Its intended use is such that I would like to have the users be able to shut it down or reboot it as they would a W95 box (it is in fact a dual boot with W95), without needing to know the root password.
>
> Gnome, as installed by the RH6 installer, seems ready to support such a configuration, but it only works for the root account.  The Gnome user-guide seems to imply that this should work for users as well.
>
> I've searched both the RedHat and Gnome web sites, and the online help without being able to find out for sure if a user should be able to exit Gnome with either the "halt" or "reboot" options, and if so what I need to do to make it work.  I expected this to be an FAQ, but apparently not....
>
> FWIW, the user accounts were created with useradd, using the standard skeleton supplied by RH6.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Andrew.
> <andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au>

Run linuxconf as root, go to the user accounts tab, select user
accounts, and select a user to edit. Go to the priviledges tab and
you'll see an option called "May shutdown". If you enable this, the
user will be able to shutdown/reboot.

If you select Granted, the user is asked for *his* password (not
roots) when he runs the shutdown command. If you select Granted/Silent
I *think* he isn't asked for a password of any kind (untested, I use
Granted).

Tom.
--
    .^.     | Tom Gilbert, England | tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |