Re: Gnome and SSH

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Graham Leggett wrote:

> Is this possible? In our testing so far, the remote machine wants to try
> make a connection to the local machine on port 4370, probably to do some
> kind of CORBA stuff. It's being denied by the firewall though, and
> opening this port is not an option. Is it possible to get this CORBA
> connection to run over the SSH session like X does?
>
> If not, what would it take to do it?

Elliot can tell you more when he returns from LinuxWorld. As an initial
answer, our CORBA stuff is basically per-X-display I think. This is a tad
broken. We'd really like someone to work on CORBA and session management
to get it to work really well with multiple machines and remote
connections for the next version of GNOME; if you're interested in working
on this, I'd suggest looking at the X session management spec, and
libgnorba in gnome-libs, and gnome-session, and talk to Elliot Lee and Tom
Tromey. It's a tricky problem you'd have to think about carefully.

Havoc