Display Settings?...

OK, i'm sure i'm being completely retarded, but I've been stuck in Windows
forever and I finally built myself a linux box so I can mess around with it
until I can go to it full blown. My question is how the hell do I change the
display settings, like monitor, color depth, resolution, refresh rate, etc...

Also, what is the correct way to shut down Red Hat 6.0? I've been going to
reboot Gnome and shutting it off at the POST because I haven't been able to
find anything that says something about shutting down, or quiting to a
command promt or anything like that.

Thanks,
-Jason Fox