Re: Sound

The mixer is kernel-level, however a userspace driver
for the volume controls on your keyboard is certainly possible.
You can modify your gnome-session to run a mixer on startup if you wish
or find out if there is a utility to set your master volume on your
mixer via the commandline which can provide a quick hack via a single
editting of your rc.d initalization files (or gnome-session).

--
Eric Windisch