Re: Useability-root window desktop

> delete Mr. ICE's authority all the time? Would it not be better
> for the *user* to make decisions about who should be able to
> mount what, rather than the distributor, and should it not the
===============
-        I guess by *user* you mean sysadmin. If you are the
sysadmin, you can choose
-who mounts what by editing the file /etc/fstab and adding the
option 'user' to
-the options field (the 4th column).
====================
Thank you much for the tip, but it is utterly, totally,
completely beside the point. I would like to be
able to do as you suggest in a root desktop window instead of a
terminal window. That is the whole idea of having a GUI, right?
Using it?
Being the sysadmin, why can't I drag and drop devices onto user
icons and stuff like that? That, if well implemented, *could*
make sysadmin tasks
easier to do *and to understand*.

I am no more likely to execute a command that will erase my
entire
system in a root window desktop than I would be to do so in a
terminal. Much less so, in fact, because gnome developers would
implement it. I find fault with the logic of insisting that all
potentially dangerous system commands be done exclusively in a
terminal, especially when that insistence takes place in a *gnome
discussion group* ??????????.

I found it infuriating to be insulted when gnome would let
me open it *only* as root. (No, it was not something other than
gnome
which was the cause, it was stale gnome configuration files. Call
the configuration file police?)
IMHO, it would be better if, after entering `root' in the dialog
and before completing password entry, a skull and crossbones, or
an open manhole, or a roasting turkey appeared on the expanded
widget with a notice such as: `Operating as root is inherently
dangerous because certain commands could destroy your system,
therefore take great care and always know what you are doing.'
That way you always have the warning for as long as it takes to
type the password, but there would not have to be an `ok' button
to clear it so it would not be such a PITA.

Even better would be a serene landscape with Socrates or a Wise
Old Gnome or Penquin pointing to a notice such as:

`You are logging on as root to the gnome System Administrator
Window Desktop.

Welcome in advance!

You will be able to execute almost any valid command while in
this window, regardless of possible damage to your system. It is
not wise to experiment. Please take care and always know what you
are doing. Enjoy the superior capabilities and security of the
unix family of operating systems with your gnome System
Administrator Window Desktop!'

The user who is also sysadmin would be able to mount, print,
communicate, install, etc., right away but still be in his user
desktop, getting used to it, and then without haste
*conveniently* enable these functions as practical, safe, and
appropriate in the user(s) desktop(s), using the tools provided.
The thing should have a big icon to start it with a crown or
dominatrix or lion tamer or something on it. It would make sense
to me that a single user should *always* at least shut down from
it. Configuring permissions with gnome is growing into a HA mess,
IMHO. I really think that this is a way out, and a lot easier and
better if you want your kids to use the machine too.
--
Peace, understanding, health and happiness to all beings!